Force Realist Academy
You must be at least 19 years of age to join Force Realist Academy.

Politics in the US

Go down

Politics in the US

Post by Micheal on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:02 am

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/02/14/do_congressional_republicans_know_women_can_vote_136266.html

So lets start off with the obvious.  Yes, it is bad that Trump employed a possible wife beater.  And when the administration found out, the man stepped down before he got fired.

Now the hypocrisy of the article.

Because evidentally due to this one wife beater.  Women will flock to deomcrats who beat women.

http://rightwingnews.com/democrats/wife-beater-democrat-alan-graysons-wife-accuses-him-of-beating-her/

Utilize their power to take advantage of women.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/454252/sexual-harassment-democrats-hypocrisy-feminism

Are the ones who are supposedly going to come out on top???

It just amazes me that people can say these things with a straight face.  I mean women just aren't this stupid... are they?

Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Politics in the US

Post by Manu on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:26 am

I wonder when politics will start focusing more on results in terms of economics, and less on playing the whole "holier-than-thou".

Dark Knight
Dark Knight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 am

I have a perspective on that.

What I think we are seeing and have seen for a while is 'The Art of the Deal' on full display.

Used to be that the Democrats were the purveyors of it.  Which is no surprise as Trump himself was a democrat at one time.  So it is not surprising that they utilize his techniques to their advantage.

And now, they go against the very creator of the art who seems to be bringing a new level to it in the fact that he is successfully manipulating his opposition into corners they have a hard time getting out of.

For example.  This immigration deal.

His 4 pillars are:

1.8 dreamers get a path to citizenship.
Lottery visas go away
border wall
merit based immigration added.

The democrats like the first only and hate the other 3.
However, if nothing is done, existing laws allow Trump to get rid of all illegals.  And where their are court rulings in place to stop him from doing such now, no one really believes the Supreme court in the US (which is predominantly conservative) will hold to it.

Of course, the democrats want them because of the number of votes... they are against the rest because it stops new voters coming to their aid.  But what can they do when the law is against them?

I am enjoying watching this lately.

Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:33 am

For instance, I personally disagree with the "border wall" idea.

But if I'm going to argue against it, getting into the whole discourse of anti-xenophobia isn't going to get me anywhere.

Instead, I should focus on facts:

- The wall is expensive.
- The jobs it will create will not make up for the cost of building it.
- It will not significantly reduce illegal immigration.

As someone who has previously remained illegally in the US, I cant tell you most of us just take a plane and then... stay.  Laughing

Dark Knight
Dark Knight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 pm

A good start, but I would dispute your second, third, and fourth points.  Obviously the wall will be expensive, there is no argument there.  But for the US, the $20b it would cost.  Lets even say $44b just because I can draw an analogy with that and nothing the government does comes in under budget.  The current proposed budget is $4.4 T.  Which means this would be 1% of the government budget.  Its like you getting a $1000 paycheck and spending $10 for your dinner (in the US this would be about half a persons dinner really).

First I will start with point 3, for the data on that is that it will reduce illegal immigration significantly. 

But before I go into that, I need to point out that:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/01/25/politics/reality-check-illegal-immigration/index.html

Illegal immigration has already plummeted due to simply following the laws already in place.

But that is a digression.  In order to say if it will or will not reduce such, one has to go to where walls are built and see how they work.  Now, we can forgo the nonsense about a Mexico wall with Guatemala for it does not exist, so how about isreal?

https://www.btselem.org/separation_barrier/statistics

It has all but stopped attacks.  So has all but stopped people from moving past them.  Ultimately, it is as good or as porous as the people maintaining it will allow.  But guaranteed, don't build it and it is 100% likely to stop no one.

The Berlin Wall dramatically reduced movement west until it was torn down:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/berlin-wall-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-barrier-that-divided-east-and-west-9847347.html

I actually got to see this thing, the fact anyone made it past it just astounded me (and yet the rare person did).

Which follows onto my argument for your second point.

While true enough on its face, it does not calculate other factors.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2016/05/11/waitillegal-immigrants-get-1200-more-in-welfare-benefits-than-american-families-n2161305

I do not know if the reduction of immigration would make up for the cost of the wall.  But then we factor in how many more jobs would be available, so then we have a lower unemployment rate (which is already real low here).  So where a focus on cost is a good argument, their are other factors.

For example security:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/heavily-armed-civilian-vigilantes-patrol-us-mexico-border-illegal-immigrants-1592087

Because we have had issues with illegals coming across armed and had them kill Americans as well as take hostages, citizens have stood up to fight back... very untold story for it does not fit the media narrative. 

Finally, your fourth point, where I have not doubt this happens, in the grand scheme of things, it is a minority of the issues.  Most who come across do so without a penny to their name.  In my town we have a wash which runs through our town, along this wash you can find what looks like wood piles and rubble, these are actually places where they live.

The fact is, we have to do something as it is not only a security issue, but a humanitarian issue.  The fact that these poor people can be let to live in such a situation is appalling.  And they do so, so that those in power can take advantage of them.  This do nothing nonsense is pathetic and since that is what is put on the table against the wall, I want the wall.  not the status quo.

Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:35 am

Michael wrote:Illegal immigration has already plummeted due to simply following the laws already in place.

I think this is the key to solving illegal immigration.

For example, in Ecuador, you need your country-issued ID to do anything. And unlike the USA, where each state issues their own ID, we have a single ID for the whole country.

Without an ID you cannot:

- Open a bank account
- Open a business
- Work anywhere
- Go to school
- Use a credit card
- Buy a mobile plan
- Vote

So, except for instances of human trafficking or drug trafficking, where people require to stay off the grid, everyone else is required to get an ID.

Companies are no longer allowed to pay in cash, they must deposit your paycheck to your bank account. No bank account, no job. Business could theoretically pay cash, but then they miss out on reporting that expense as a deductible, and since all companies are required to contribute 10% of wages to social security, law enforcement is very harsh on evaders.

Which is why I always strikes me as odd that my mom was able to take me to the US as a minor, with a tourist visa, and I could go to school, graduate, get a job, open a bank account, take home books from the local library, and attend college without an ID, only a social security card from my then expired green card I had forfeited years ago because I didn't stay in the country nor renew my resident status. I mean, I even finally got an ID (a drivers license), and there was no background check of any sort to see whether or not I was living there legally. Crazy.

Dark Knight
Dark Knight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 am

So you have to ask yourself why would they allow such?

Once you do, the answer becomes clear.

There are a group of people who need a secondary class.
I like to point the finger at Democrats for this, but what they want is to make illegals able to vote for they are more likely to vote democrat.
Sadly, though, that does not give a complete picture.

The rich like to have those they can pay lower then minimum wage.  One of the main reason for hiking the minimum wage is so that their are more jobs that illegals can do that others will no longer do.  Why pay $11 an hour when you can get away with paying $4?

Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:24 pm

I think the US would greatly benefit from people having to use more controlled ID cards. Though I'm sure that will freak out both the illegal immigrants and the libertarian off-gridist alike.

Dark Knight
Dark Knight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down