Force Realist Academy
You must be at least 19 years of age to join Force Realist Academy.

Self inquiry

Go down

Self inquiry

Post by David on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Who am I? This is the crux of most existential angst. The search for the source is usually the first step in identifying the present.

The elimination ensues since all positive values seem to outline a silhouette instead of providing succinct definition. That is, pretty is not me when others can be pretty. Pretty, bold, quiet: any descriptor is just that, a description.

I am not my body. This is the first of many dissociations. Yet we are our bodies, in part. It is true that you are still you if I remove your legs. But, you have changed in some way. You would not be the same person. So body remains, not in the generic "I am a body", but in a specific "I am, in part, this body". Rest assured, if you kill my body then its close enough to be confident in saying you have killed me.

I am not my mind. This will be the next fetter to cut. I will not go into detailed breakdown here, but believe me when I say that people who have convinced themselves that they are not their minds say some hilarious things. However, this is incorrect. We are not our beliefs or thoughts. Pick them up; set them down; you will still be you. I would be remiss to neglect mentioning the recursive benefit or harm to be exploited by entertaining beliefs or ideas during the decision making process. However, that is not my focus here. The mind is the origin of thought. While ideas reflect the nature of the mind like fruit of a tree, they are mere products. So, we are our minds - experienced directly or observed through the reflection of ideas.

Undoubtedly the heap paradox can be used to argue either of these points, yet these truths erode when faced with the simple question of, which benefits more from being removed from a flame - you, or your hand? In hasty contraction the hypocrisy is revealed, I and my hand are one.

This is the paradox of the eon, which truth is THE truth? In observing the conditions under which each truth seems more relevant, we find that the former tends to rely on infinity, comfort, calmness, is disarming, and approves physical death. The latter relies more on finiteness, pain, exhaustion, is alarming, and loathes entropy when the benefit isn't obvious.

This isn't a choice that can be made for someone. But by bringing it up, one can be forced to make a decision according to their natural inclinations.

For those in the first camp: who is arguing and who is paying lip service in hopes of being real?

For those in the second camp: what chink in your armor keeps allowing you to be fascinated by notions from the other camp? Put another way, when the garden grew around the snake, why did it not leave?

Dark Head of Aspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Self inquiry

Post by Manu on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:26 pm

There is a certain beauty and comfort in entertaining the thought that I am not my body, not my mind, not my job, not my bank account, not my limitations. It dulls the edge of the sword of time, slowly but surely moving towards my throat.

Dark Knight
Dark Knight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by David on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Aye, but if not these then what else, right?

If only intent actually meant anything. I guess this goes back to what Micheal said about potential energy.

Dark Head of Aspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:48 pm

What about our legacy? Those people or things we feel are so much a part of us that losing them would destroy us, that we would lay down our lives for them. Are they a part of this "me" we define?

Dark Knight
Dark Knight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by David on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:44 pm

I'd say no based on the identity shift. The importance of what you said shows that self is an exchangeable resource.

Dark Head of Aspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down